The Jewish world will be celebrating the 13th Siyum Hashas (completion of the entire Talmud) on Wednesday January 1 at 1:00 PM at the Met Life Stadium in New Jersey.
With 2,711 pages in the Talmud, one Daf Yomi cycle takes about 7 years, 5 months. The completion of each tractate is typically celebrated with a small siyum, and the completion of the entire cycle is celebrated at an event known as the Siyum HaShas.
As with any siyum, the Siyum HaShas is both an end and a beginning. Dozens and even hundreds of Gedolei Torah (Torah leaders) attend each Siyum HaShas. This will be a historic event with over 90,000 attending to give honor to the Torah. It will probably be your only opportunity in your lifetime to pray, dance, and hear an inspiring program with so many Jews at one time.
The Shul plans on chartering a comfortable bus leaving from Toronto on Tuesday night and returning home by Thursday morning January 2nd for Shacharis. It will be great opportunity for the men to do some bonding in a constructive way.
The Siyum is in the Met Life stadium in New Jersey, very close to Passaic – a beautiful Jewish community is there. The itinerary would be approximately like this:
- Tue. 10:00 pm – leave Toronto by bus & have some fun on the bus…scotch, etc.
- Wed. 7:00 am – arrive in a Shul / Yeshiva in Passaic and daven Shacharis & learn a little bit afterwards
- Wed. 9:00 am – go out for breakfast
- Wed. 11:00 am – leave for the Stadium
- Wed. 1:00 pm – Siyum starts
- Wed. 5:00 pm – leave the stadium for a nearby restaurant.
- Wed. 9:00 pm – leave for home
- Thur. 6:00 am – arrive at Shul and daven shacharis
We need to have at least 20- 25 guys go to make it worthwhile. Estimated Cost for the trip including bus fare, tickets to the event and meals is $250, which will be fully tax receipt-able. (There will sponsorships for those who need financial help in order to attend)
Please let the Rabbi know ASAP if you ( and /or your sons) will be in town and would be interested in attending with us.