As many Shuls are now resuming their regular services post COVID , the following Shuls are committed to help increase the honour of the Shechina in the city of Toronto / Thornhill by adhering to all of the listed standards, which will provide safe prayer havens for anyone who wants to maximize their Tefila Be’Tzibur:
- Westmount Shul – Rabbi Yossi Michalowicz (website link)
- (Add your shul to the list)
The Talmud tells us that one of the questions we will be asked in the heavenly court is: “Did you hope for and long for the moshiach!” There are many ways that our behavior can manifest a positive response to that question.
One way is by showing our respect for the “Mikdash Me’at” – miniature sanctuary that we pray in. That means that we go out of our way to create an atmosphere that reflects that of the Beis Hamikdash – an indoor house of worship to Hashem, where the Divine presence feels welcomed, honoured and revered ( we are only referring to the actual Beis Haknesses / sanctuary).
It is a facility that adheres to the following proper Shul etiquette based on Halacha:
- Enter the Shul with awe of Hashem’s presence
- Say “Ma Tovu” when entering the Shul, and go directly to your seat
- Refrain from entering with your coat / outerwear
- Refrain from entering with your cell phone or any secular reading materials
- Refrain from sleeping or eating
- Refrain from behaving in a light hearted manner and avoid speaking idly or joking around
- Refrain from walking in with snow or mud on your footwear
- Refrain from participating in “Kiddush Clubs” during services
- Talk a lot in Shul, but only to Hashem!
If so many of us were able to comply with the oppressive COVID safety measures because of “dina demalchusa dina” , we certainly should want to comply with Hashem’s laws that are far less oppressive and even more important for our physical / spiritual safety.
As many Shuls are now resuming their regular services post COVID , the following Shuls are committed to help increase the honour of the Shechina in the city of Toronto / Thornhill by adhering to all of the above standards, which will provide safe prayer havens for anyone who wants to maximize their Tefila Be’Tzibur:
Westmount Shul – Rabbi Yossi Michalowicz
For more information and to find out how to get your Shul on this Kiddush Hashem list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Look at the Community Link letter – asking more Toronto shuls to participate: